15.3.13

When someone asks me if I'm happy with my life, most of the time I will, without a second thought, say "yes, I'm really happy with my life now". But then as I am lying wide awake in my bed during some of those sleepless nights, I got myself thinking and reflecting back to what happiness really means. Does it mean we have to be happy all the time? No tears, no heartbreaks, no disappointments, no anger and all that? I know most of all tends to avoid all those feelings and myself included too. But we can't expect things to always work out the way we want them to be, right?

There is an episode of The Oprah Winfrey show where she says that in life, we should strive for contentment. Now I didn't agree or much less understand what she means with that at first, but as I grow older (and hopefully mature enough), I now get what she means. Feeling content, to me, means feeling happy but also not disregarding the fact that sometimes we as humans are greedy and selfish, so at times, we may be angry or sad or even disappointed. Being content means acknowledging the fact that we may be sad for certain things and that it's okay to feel certain ways. As for me, crying sometimes (if not most) makes things better. My heart instantly feels lighter and less..sad afterwards. How revealing!

So yes I'm striving for contentment, just because being happy all the time is tiring. I mean have you ever tried so hard to feel happy and to look on the bright side and still end up feeling sad and unsatisfied?

No comments:

Post a Comment